Finding Family

In 1988 my biological father passed away. He had three children. Myself, 8 years old at the time of his death, my brother Lawrence, 2 years old, and my brother Leon, 2 months old. Prior to his funeral I had only seen Lawrence once and I had never met Leon. My brothers were from my fathers second marriage and they all lived in another state. Being so far away limited our visits. After our Dad's funeral in 1988, I did not have any contact with my brothers for the next 20 years.

1988 was also the last year that I had seen my Grandma Hilda. (My fathers mom). His family was from El Salvador and thats where my grandma still lived. She would always send me a birthday card and on very seldom occasions we would talk on the phone. I remember her always updating me on Lawrence and Leon and telling me how much it would mean to her to have the three of us siblings be connected again. I know she wanted to see that more than anything.

In 2004 I finally got to see my grandmother again. I made a trip to Florida for my Aunt's wedding and for the first time in 16 years I was reunited with this amazing woman. I can't even begin to explain the connection the two of us instantly had. It was like she was the missing puzzle piece that helped me understand myself and my personality like I never had before. We had so many things in common and our bond was simply spiritual. We laughed at the same things, we had very similar physical characteristics, her energy level surpassed mine and her enthusiasm for life was overflowing. She was one of the most amazing women I had ever met and once we got together there was no denying the bond we had. Having her back in my life meant so much to me because I felt she understood me in a way no one else could. I loved and admired my grandmother so much and I hope and pray that I grow older with the vitality and love for life that she had.

Sometime in 2007-2008 I found both of my brothers via Facebook (go figure!). We all three began corresponding through emails, instant messages and occasional phone calls. It was so amazing to be reconnected with them and to hear how their lives had turned out and to get to know them. At the time my brother Lawrence was in the Air Force Academy in Colorado and Leon had just been accepted to Cornell University. I had always been told by our grandma Hilda how smart they were, but I was such a proud sister to learn how much they had both accomplished. I could not wait to get to know them more, establish relationship and one day hopefully meet them.

Last year after a very short but ugly battle with ovarian cancer, my grandma Hilda passed away. The news of her passing was harder for me than I ever knew it would be. I was lucky enough to have a wonderful conversation with her via phone a few weeks before she passed, but my heart ached not being able to see her and kiss her one last time. In that conversation she told me that Lawrence had come to see her and again said how much it would mean to her to have the three of us siblings reunited. She was delighted to know we had at least found each other and were in contact again. Rob and I packed our things and headed down to Florida for her funeral. Being with that side of the family again was amazing but the heartbreak of losing her was so painful. I felt like a piece of me died when she did. There are so many times I have thought of her this past year and wish that she could have been here to see all of the exciting things that have happened.

Knowing my brother Leon was graduating Cornell University this weekend, I so desperately wanted to be there and meet him and be a part of this celebration. I learned yesterday that my other brother Lawrence was going to be there as well and this made the desire to go even stronger. Just the thought of the three of us finally together was so exciting to me and I wanted to make it happen so badly. I knew it would be a long shot, seeing as its an eight and a half hour trip and the price of gas is stupidly high. After a VERY generous offer from Rob's family to help with the cost of gas, and an offer from an old high school friend to stay at her house in Ithaca, NY... Rob and I are headed to Cornell's graduation tomorrow and I will finally get to meet my brothers again after 23 long years.

After the excitement of realizing we would be able to make this trip and the joy of telling my brothers we were coming, a part of my heart hurt a bit knowing my grandma wasn't going to be there. I talked to Rob and told him that she would have been so happy to be a part of this reunion. I told him how much it would mean to her that all of her son's children would be together again and celebrating together. Not 5 minutes after I was sharing this with Rob, I got this text from my brother Lawrence...

"It's so nice you are coming. I know grandma Hilda would want to be there but this would make her so happy us all getting together".

My eyes filled with tears as I read that and I knew then that we are all still connected by this amazing woman and her beautiful spirit. I can not wait to see what this weekend holds and to finally be connected with my brothers again.

Comments

  1. I can't express how happy that I am to see you blogging actively, but moreover that life is treating you with all of the miracles and blessings that you deserve. I can only imagine how emotional this weekend is going to be for you, but I hope that it all turns out for the best. Keep writing, I'll keep reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will go to bed tonight and pray for a safe and beautiful trip. What a wonderful story...it has been 10 years since I have seen my siblings. Reading this story gives me hope. Thanks Anya!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts