Detox

A read an article a little over a month ago that talked about how social media has consumed our culture and in some sense has defined who we are as individuals. It talked about the narcisistic character that has developed in all of us as week seek to be "liked" by our social media friends. The article addressed how our children have no real sense of privacy because every minute of every move they make is plastered on a "wall". As I read this article I had this sickening feeling in the pit of my stomach, knowing how much truth this author was speaking. And I felt like he was speaking directly to me.

I mulled the article for a few days and rationalized my activity on Facebook. I didn't want to think about it. I didn't want to be guilty of the words I knew were true. Still, aspects of the article haunted me and I found myself thinking of it with every post and picture I made to my wall.

This blog is a self-confession. Since reading that article, I have come across several other blogs, news clips, magazine articles, ect that have followed the same story line: Social Media is taking away any sense of privacy in our lives. We are choosing to expose every aspect of our being and our culture is suffering from it.

I am guilty. Very guilty.

I love Facebook. I like to keep up on whats going on in other peoples lives, I like to look at pictures, I form judgements of who's successful and who's not, I like to share parenting advise and I will be honest, I like to show off my life. I have an awesome husband, a super cute kid and for the first time in a long time, I am genuinely content and happy. And I like to share that. Who wouldn't, right?

It wasn't until a few days ago that something really caught my attention and made me think about the things I post and the pictures I share, and of course, brought my thoughts right back to that article I had read. While uploading the 600+ photos I have on FB to a photo printing web site, it showed a list of my "friends" and gave me the option to print any one of their pictures as well. I thought to myself, "Oh my gosh, if I can do this, anyone who I am friends with can print my pictures too." Now, I am pretty selective with my friends, but how do I know who has access to their account? How do I know who is printing pictures of my son or of my house?

In the midst of all of this happening, I had several people comment to me (in person) about how often I am on Facebook and how much I post. I overheard conversation between my grandparents about what my plans were for the day and my grandma would say something like, "You already know what she is doing today. Didn't you see it on Facebook?" We are limiting our conversation because the questions that would normally be asked and discussed in person are already being answered... for an audience of hundreds. I suddenly became aware of how much information I post and how much time I actually spend on social media.

For the past few weeks I have been trying to figure out how to find a happy medium. I like the connectivity of Facebook. I like staying in touch with old friends or friends who are far away. But do I really need to put out there everything we do as a family? I mean, is anything sacred anymore? Will my child have to tell me one day, "Mommy please don't post that. Im embarrassed." I don't want my children growing up with a fear that every time they triumph or fail it will be broadcast for the world to see. There is something to say about the intimacy of a family and I think we have all lost touch with how special that can truly be. I know I have.

Last night I watched the movie, "Fireproof". Great movie. One part of it really stood out to me. It talked about how to truly give of yourself to your family and your spouse, you had to let go of the things that consumed the part of you that should be given to them. Usually it is in the form of an addiction. Thats when it sunk in that for me. Social media is a kind of addiction. It is certainly not the worst kind of addiction I could have, but it still takes (unfortunately, a lot) of my time and keeps me from being fully productive and active where it matters most.

The only way I can see riding myself of this "addiction" is to go through a sort of detox. For a while at least, I need to step away. Im not going to delete my account, Im not going to say, " I will never use Facebook again", but I can say that for a period of time I will not be using it. I haven't decided for how long , but it will be a while. While I am away I really need to re-evaluate the sacredness of privacy. I need to embrace personal friendships, and invest in new ones. I need to be more productive, I need to let go of the need for outside acceptance, and more important than any of this, I need to pray for and focus on the only thing that truly matters in my life, my family.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts