Inspiration and gratitude

A little over six years ago I met a couple that would change my life forever. Fellow church members, they were newlyweds and a little younger than my parents. It is said that God puts people in our lives for a reason, and sometimes for just a season. Not only did Jeff and Teresa Benton come into my life at exactly the right season, but the influence they had, the love they shared and the lessons they taught will linger throughout every season, for the rest of my life.

It's hard to teach selfless love. Words can't describe how these kinds of small acts can change someones life or how they can give hope in times of absolute despair. The greatest lesson I learned from this beautiful couple was how to love selflessly and how to give all you have out of the pureness and goodness of your heart. Jeff and Teresa came into my life at a very difficult and challenging time. The inspiring thing about this couple was the self sacrifice and giving heart they showed to everyone around them. Not only were they willing to do or provide anything they could, but they did so with such real and honest intentions. They may not have known it then, but they were not only teaching me about the kind of person I wanted to be, they were showing me the kind of person I wanted to be.

The thing I loved most about Teresa is that she always had a warm hug, a friendly smile and a glass of wine! I loved that this woman was real. She allowed me to cry, to be angry, to let loose, and to be honest, even when being honest was ugly and painful. Her door was always open, and her home was a place where I knew I could seek refuge from the storm. I love that she made me laugh and that we could share the fun and girly things in life! I knew that her home would always be filled with friends, laughter and love. She had such a full heart and I never felt judged or ashamed, just simply loved and accepted.

Jeff was my "gentle giant". At first glace many would be intimidated by Jeff's very tall and assertive presence, however, I knew with one silly "Anyaism" I could crack that tough man facade! Jeff had such a pure heart and I found so much love and understanding in talking with him. He really knew how to listen. Along with great advice and leadership, Jeff showed what it meant to give everything you have to help someone else. That is a lesson I will never forget.

Everyone comes into our lives and teaches us something. Very few people come into our life though, and by example, teach us something that will change us forever. Jeff and Teresa showed me unconditional love and support in my past, while setting an example of the kind of life I want to live in my future. That lesson will last a lifetime, and thier friendship is something I will forever be greatful for.

Jeff and Teresa, thank you for being an inspiration. God has used the two of you in ways I dont think you will ever fully understand. Happy Anniversary. I love you.

Comments

Popular Posts